Sunday, February 14, 2010

Department of Self-Congratulations.

It would appear that I have won an award. The people at The Armenian Center at Columbia University in New York City have awarded me the 2009 Anahid Literary Award for The Leisure Seeker. To quote the letter, "The award also takes into account your fine work in your other books Second Hand and The Lost Tiki Palaces of Detroit...The purpose of the Anahid Literary Award is to recognize Armenian-American writers for their work and as an encouragement for them to continue with their creative careers." It also includes a monetary prize, which is always welcome.

Best of all, I didn't even know I was nominated. I just received an e-mail one evening from the writer Nancy Kricorian (author of the wonderful novels Zabelle and Days of Bread and Fire), telling me that I had won. It was great news and a real honor, especially since former winners include Chris Bohjalian (Skeletons at the Feast), Eric Bogosian (Wasted Beauty and Talk Radio), and Peter Balakian (The Black Dog of Fate).

Considering that there was a time not long ago where I was fairly certain that there was never going to be another novel, this is particularly gratifying. Thanks to all involved.

Okay, I'm done congratulating myself. Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment