Thursday, December 17, 2009

My swell little independent bookstore


I want to say a few words about Book Beat, Detroit's coolest independent bookstore. Okay, it's Detroit's only real independent bookstore. Sad, I know, but it's pretty much true. Regardless, it is an incredible store, full of many treasures. A huge selection of not only some of the most obscure and fascinating books, but also groovy DVDs and CDs, toys, folk art, cards, and even tiki mugs. Amazing.

I went there today to buy some gifts for friends for the holidays and walked out considerably poorer. But I found some great gifts. Here's a bullet point list of the cool stuff I got. I hope none of my prospective recipients read this.

• A DVD of an animated version of William S. Burroughs' "A Junkie's Christmas."
• Cd of Sufjan Stevens' "Greetings from Michigan."
• A DVD of the MC5 film "Kick out the Jams." by Lani Sinclair and Cary Loren (one of the owners of Book Beat).
• A small book of Glenn Barr's awesome paintings and drawings called "Sparrow."
• The Book of Cool by Marianne Taylor
• A novel by Dan Fante called "Chump Change."
• "The Rock & Roll Book of the Dead" by David Comfort.
• 4 incredible Tiki Farm Tiki mugs (I know, they're new, but Tiki Farm does make some the very best new tiki mugs out there).
• A book of Detroit Auto Show Images of the 1970s.
• "Deconstructing Sammy: Music, Money, and Madness by Matt Birkbeck.

A quick reminder that in these tough economic times, it's more important than ever to support the independent businesses in your area. They need your business.

1 comment:

  1. mike,
    my best bookbeat experience was buying helmut newton sumo book there. i was on the phone with them asking if they had it....he said they had one. i asked him to hold it for me. i told him i was on my way right now to get it. he said i just want you to know it's 1500.00 dollars. i said i am on my way right now to get it...he said one more thing....what are you driving? the book is 3ft tall and almost 60lbs... i am on my way..please hold it for me. the book to this day is one of my favorite pieces of art i own.

    roe

    ReplyDelete